Saturday, March 26, 2011

“Damn! I thought I didn’t know that!”


Going on reading “The element” of Ken Robinson, on page 53-54 (http://wenku.baidu.com/view/74ca5937f111f18583d05a76.html), we stop in front of these words:
[...] When Faith at last began going to school full-time, she found encouragement and excitement in her art classes. "We had art in elementary school right straight through. An excellent experience. Excellent. I distinctly recall my teachers get ting excited about some of the things that I had done and me kind of wondering Why do they think this is so good?—but I never said anything. In junior high school, the teacher did a project with us in which she wanted us to try to see it without looking. We were supposed to paint these flowers in that way. I said, 'Oh my god, I do not want her to see this, because this is really awful.' And she held it up and said, 'Now, this is really wonderful. Look at this.' "Now I know why she liked it. [...]
Like the traditional photos, with their typical negative and positive modalities, the personal perceptive and evaluative experience of Faith shows us that sometimes we can’t trust in our own skills simply because we don’t have them in mind, we are neither aware nor confident about we can really do and achieve. As we see in the case of Faith, sometimes not only we are not confident of ourselves, but, more than that, we think we perform worse than the others.
This is something like this, as if it was possible teachers hear all Faiths saying: “Damn! I thought I didn’t know that!”

No comments:

Post a Comment